Wednesday, October 6, 2010

under construction!

Welcome to the Wisconsin Injury in Sport Laboratory (WISL)! As of today, Dave's lab is officially under construction!


Here's what the facilities crew got built today at the WISL...


I know it doesn't look like much, but Dave tells me that this platform is important because it will house the force plates that measure kinetics - the forces created when people land after jumping. The force plates are in this pallet of equipment somewhere...
...along with the Flock of Birds. Yeah, if you're not one of Dave's athletic training people and you're reading this, the Flock of Birds is a high-tech piece of equipment that according to Dave measures joint motion and activity. It does lots of other things, but I don't think you want me to try to translate what Dave is saying to me right now into something understandable to us lay people! So we'll leave it at joint motion.

But to help you better appreciate the step forward today with the Lab, here's some true "before" pictures. We'll be sure to keep you posted as construction continues!
Here you can see where Dave framed out the platform in tape. So we've moved from tape to wood! Big step.




4 comments:

  1. Glad to see that WISL is taking shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally---I know Dave has been anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooo!!! FoB, non-conductive forceplates... all he needs now is a handheld dynamometer and he will be all set :) Tell him I can't wait to see the finished space, and I hope that there aren't many 'surprises'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel! D says he's ordering the dynamometer - I'm sure you would know your way around this new lab quite well!

    ReplyDelete