Saturday, August 21, 2010

Frank is everywhere

I recently finished reading Loving Frank, a historical novel by Nancy Horan about Frank Lloyd Wright and (one of) his lover(s), Mamah Borthwick Cheney. Jen had been recommending this book to me for a long time and I finally came to my senses and picked up a copy. I'll be honest, I've always liked Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural style but didn't know much about it until reading this book. 


I did always think his designs in stained glass were so pretty. Like these:



And I went to the Guggenheim for the first time this year, so I knew he designed the beehive of a building:



But, again, I didn't know much more than those tidbits until we moved to Madison. And now I am obsessed!


So, back to the book. I recommend it, but I think it especially struck a chord with me because a good portion of the book takes place in Spring Green, Wisconsin, a small town about an hour from Madison where Frank Lloyd Wright grew up and later in life, built an estate. The preservation is call Taliesin, multiple tours are offered daily, and Dave is not going to stop hearing me talk about it on a daily basis until we take a drive out there to visit!


So, back to the title of this post: Frank is everywhere. 


My last post was about the Monona Terrace in downtown Madison. Designed by FLW!





Our condo building - definitely inspired by his prairie houses, don't you agree?




And of course my obsession has drawn me to Wikipedia where I discovered that FLW designed a bunch of other buildings in Madison including a house two streets over from us that Dave and I were ogling last week! We could tell there was something different about this house!
Photo by James Steakley


So there you have it. Frank is everywhere around us - even right down the road.


And the book is good. The ending is riveting, but I won't ruin it for you. Stay tuned to see how long it takes Dave to get sick of hearing me talk about FLW and agree to come out to Taliesin with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment