Monday, September 13, 2010

making our old chairs new

If you've been to our house, you might recognize these chairs.
They are our extra chairs when we want to seat more than four people around the kitchen table. Or we put a blanket on the seat near a sunny window for the cats. Or they served as luggage rack in the guest room. The chairs are hand-me-downs from Dave's grandparents and have served us well over the last few years, but they looked a little beat up and needed some tlc. So...I decided to paint and reupholster both chairs this weekend.

I'd been searching for fabric for the chair seats and found some blue and white fabric that I loved. So the plan was, blue and white fabric cushions and white painted wood.

That is until I found some brown and green fabric that mimicked part of the graphic pattern from our rug!

Not only did the fabric go great with the rug, but I found it in the remnants section of the fabric store and scored all the fabric I needed for under $3!

Here's the fabric with the primer, paint, and poly I used.

And here's the fininshed product. What do you think?
I'm still getting used to them. The light sage green paint is pretty funky. But our apartment needed some color, so we got it!

Here's the before and after side-by-side. I think I like them!

2 comments:

  1. OMG!! I love the chairs!! They look awesome!! Way to go Jennie! I love the funky color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them and am anxious to see in person!

    ReplyDelete